You cannot copy content of this page

How to Get a German Student Visa

How to Get a German Student Visa

If you are admitted to study at a German university, you need to know if you need to apply for a German student visa. Many students do not need a student visa to study in Germany but only need a residence permit. If you need a visa, make sure to apply as soon as possible, as the process can take several months.

Do you need a German student visa?

If you are applying for German studies in the EU (including Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Liechtenstein), you do not need a German student visa before entering Germany.

Applicants from the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan, and South Korea:

If you are from one of these countries, you do not need a visa to study in Germany. However, you must register at the local registration office and immigration office to obtain a residence permit within two weeks of arrival.

Candidates from Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino and Taiwan:

If you come from one of these countries, you only need a German student visa if you want to work before or after your studies. In this case, you must apply for a visa in your home country from your German embassy or consulate. Visa holders and non-visa holders must apply for a residence permit within two weeks of their admission. Taiwanese students need a passport with an ID card number.

Applicants from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan, South Korea:

If you arrive from a country other than the one mentioned above, you will need a student visa for Germany. You must apply for an embassy or consulate from Germany in your home country. The average visa fee is 60 € (~ 70 USD).

How can I apply for a student visa for Germany?

If you need a student visa for Germany, you must apply as soon as possible and at least three months before your move to the country. To do this, you must contact the local embassy of Germany or the consulate of your country.

The documents you usually need are:

Completed application form
Passport in good standing
Two images
A letter shows that you have been accepted by a German university
Transcript of academic notes
German language skills or proof that you want to take a language course in Germany (if you study in German)
Proof that you have sufficient financial resources to support yourself during your stay in Germany (€ 8,700 per year, approximately $ 10,250)
Certificate of your health insurance
Certificate of authenticity of submitted documents
Depending on the message, you can also prove that you do not have a criminal record. You can prove that you have sufficient funds to study in Germany by depositing a security deposit in a blocked account. This means that you can simply withdraw money after your arrival in Germany.

If you intend to study in Germany for more than 90 days, you must apply for a national visa instead of a Schengen visa to obtain a visa. This means that you can only stay in Germany for three months.

In addition to your student visa, you must apply for a residence permit upon arrival.

How can I apply for a residence permit?

Once in your country, you must register with your local mayor or registration office within two weeks of your arrival. Here you must apply for a residence permit for study purposes. The documents you need are the same for those of the visa:

Proof of valid private or legal health insurance
The certificate of registration of your university
Proof of sufficient funds
Passport in good standing
Current visa, if available
Health certificate (if applicable)
Your lease (if applicable)
Biometric passport photos (if applicable)
Residence Permit Resident (check your current price to make sure you bring enough money)
Even if language skills are required as part of your university application, you may need to re-enter this information to obtain your residence permit. For courses taught in German, international students must submit a TestDaf or DSH assessment, or for an English course, you must provide a TOEFL or IELTS assessment.

EU students

Students from the EU / EEA (as well as from Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein) do not need a residence permit but must register at the local registration office or at the Bürgeramt within a week of their arrival. For this, you need the registration form of your university. EU students must also demonstrate that they have enough money (€ 8 700 per year), health insurance legislation if they are under 30 and they know the language of their course. In some countries there are bilateral agreements in Germany, so that insurance policies apply to the home country of a student in Germany.

Have you considered a student applicant visa?

If you are not yet registered in a German university, you can apply for a visa. So you can spend three months in Germany looking for a university program on German soil. If you are not yet registered, you can request that your visa be extended to six months. However, if the determination of the visa authorities is granted. After registration, the student visa can be converted into a national visa. To apply for a visa, you must provide proof in a German university.

Working in Germany with a student visa

Legal work in Germany with a student visa, but the number of student days is limited. These are 120 full days a year or 240 half days. (If you are a student assistant or research assistant at your university, the problem usually does not exceed 120 days, but you must inform the immigration office.) 20 hours a week without a work permit.

If you want to find a job in Germany after your studies, foreign students with a residence permit can extend their stay in Germany and find a job up to 18 months after graduation if the activity is relevant in their field of study. Graduates from EU / EEA countries can continue to work without restrictions or permits. After two years of work in Germany, it is possible to apply for a permanent residence permit. This is certainly an advantage in German language training when you are looking for a job in Germany, but it is not always necessary.

About Author

The Association for Computing Machinery does not issue formal invitation letters for visas to attend ACM sponsored conferences such as ACM ICMR 2019. We can however issue a visa support letter. The following info should be posted on the conference website:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *