You cannot copy content of this page

Visas for Diplomats and Foreign Government Officials

If you are a diplomat or a government representative and physically present in the United States:

If you want to renew (renew) your visa or a member of your immediate family, select Renew A-1 or A-2 Visa in the US to learn more. A-3 visa holders must reapply for a visa outside the United States.


To change the status to or from status A, select Change status from/to A, G, NATO.

Diplomatic and other foreign officials traveling to the United States to perform official duties or activities on behalf of their national government must obtain an A-1 or A-2 visa before entering the United States. You can not go to visitor visas or under the Visa Waiver Program. With the exception of a Head of State or Government who qualifies for a visa, whatever the purpose of your trip, your position in the government of your country and the purpose of your trip will determine whether you need an A1 or A200 visa. Family members of diplomats and government officials receive an A-1 or A-2 visa, with a few exceptions. Personal employees, supervisors or domestic employees of diplomats and civil servants (valid A-1 or A-2 visa holders) may receive an A-3 visa.

To qualify for an A-1 or A-2 visa, you must travel to the United States on behalf of your national government, sharing only the official duties of that government. The specific tasks or services to be performed must be governed, as determined by the US State Department in accordance with US immigration laws. Officials traveling to the United States to perform non-governmental business functions or traveling as tourists require an appropriate visa and not a visa. The fact that there may be government interest or control over a particular organization is not the determining factor in deciding whether you are eligible for a visa.

About Author

The Association for Computing Machinery does not issue formal invitation letters for visas to attend ACM sponsored conferences such as ACM ICMR 2019. We can however issue a visa support letter. The following info should be posted on the conference website:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *